Saturday, January 26, 2013

Blogathon 22: 100 Issues in a Row (Part 2)

One series that I know I will get and read more than 100 issues of is Cerebus. Just a matter of when, not if.

Of the current titles that I'm buying, I'm not sure if there are any that will make it that far. One that just finished up that almost made it was The Boys (it hit 90 if you include the three mini-series that accompanied it) and it was, as you said, creator owned. Oddly, the two that I had that made the cut (sort of) were not creator-owned. Maybe that's because not a lot of creator-owned books last that long either.

Getting back to current titles... Uh... I could see me winding up getting those 100 issues of Thor in a row despite it being across three volumes (at least!). Nothing else is standing out. Maybe Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers? Those two titles in conjunction could hit 100 if he's allowed to tell his whole story, I suppose. Possibly The Unwritten. That could make it, I guess, if it keeps going. I don't know if I'd be there when it reached 100 issues.

100 issues is a lot. That's 100 months (if it ships monthly): a little over eight years. As Augie said, who wants to stick around on a book that long when you can be doing new things? That's a big investment of time and energy -- and maybe not the best investment.

Since few seem likely to make it that far, I'll say what comic I would like to see make it that far all things considered: Wonder Woman. That's probably the only ongoing title that I'm buying that I could see making 100 issues and that being fine. With Brian Azzarello still writing. Everything else seems to have a built-in shelf life. I love The Manhattan Projects, for example, but that does not strike me as a 100-issue series. Nor does Prophet (though, maybe I'd like to see them try there...). Maybe it's the natural tendency to assume that only superhero comics will last forever. And Wonder Woman is the ongoing superhero comic that I'm enjoying the most right now, so... let's see it hit 100!

In 30 minutes, I'll begin talking Garth Ennis's best female characters with Brian Cronin.

[Don't forget to donate what you can to the Hero Initiative (Details in this post)! After you do, let me know via comment or e-mail (found at the righthand side) so I can keep track of donations -- and who to thank.]