Thursday, January 03, 2013

Blogathon 2013

It's taken some time to plan, but I am doing a fifth and final Blogathon on January 26, beginning at 9 am EST. For 24 hours, I will post something here on GraphiContent every half hour for charity. Once again, my charity of choice is the Hero Initiative. Except, there is one small change this time: I won't be alone. Instead of my usual 49 posts, this year, I will be joined by 15 other writers to discuss topics of our choosing. The line-up of talented, caring writers joining me to help raise money for a great cause:

Tim Callahan, Tucker Stone, David Brothers, Alec Berry, Brian Cronin, Graeme McMillan, Jeff LesterTim O'Neil, Ryan K. Lindsay, Adam Langton,  Matt Brady, Ales Kot, Shawn Starr, Kaitlin Tremblay, and Augie de Blieck, Jr.

Most of those names you probably recognise and the ones that don't, you should. It's a pleasure to have them all aboard for this insane scheme with me. Basically, how it will work is, each writer and I will decide on a topic. They will write their posts ahead of time. During the Blogathon, I will kick off discussion of the topic, follow that up with their post, and then do another post in response to what they wrote (I won't read their posts until they are posted by me, either). Additionally, for all of the Splash Page fans out there, Tim Callahan has agreed to do two posts, so the Blogathon will begin and end with the two of us discussing Jack Kirby's '70s work and the Joe Casey remix/rewrite Youngblood hardcover.

Now, you may think that by bringing in 15 writers to do 16 posts, that means I'll be taking it a bit easier this time. You would be wrong. For those half-hour periods, I will be doing a series of posts over at Comics Should be Good on the best of 2012. It's not just a bigger Blogathon in contributors, but in blogs.

That brings us to the most important thing in all of this: the Hero Initiative. It's a charity that provides financial assistance to comic professionals that require it. It's an organisation that I have a large amount of respect for and one that, sadly, the comics industry desperately needs. You can sponsor my co-bloggers and myself in a number of ways:

* Direct donations to the Hero Initiative (click on the Pay Pal link
* Purchasing products from their site, including annual memberships
* Purchasing products from their eBay store

Last year, we raised over $500 for this great cause and it would be amazing if we could not only match that, but somehow surpass it. If you do wish to sponsor us in the Blogathon, please make sure to shoot me an e-mail at chevett13[at]yahoo[dot]ca and let me know what you contributed. I know, charity is best when done privately and it feels weird to 'brag' about it, but it's the only way to keep track of how much money was raised.

Stop by here and at  Comics Should be Good on Saturday January 26, beginning at 9 am EST to read some smart writing on comics every half an hour. It's all for a great cause and promises to be a lot of fun.

Thank you