Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sketch Reviews (March 16 2011)

Working on a Wednesday... back to CBR reviewing... girlfriend picked up comics for me... a little tired. Also, after spending all day in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do when I get home is do more of that. Still figuring out how to balance the various elements of my life. I'm pretty sure sitting in front of the TV all day isn't the way... but it is very nice nonetheless. So, comics.

Casanova: Gula #3: These two issues packaged together feels right. More than any other two issues, these two feel like they belong together. I'm looking forward to the finale again next month. Plus whatever newness we get. [****1/2]

THUNDER Agents #5: Hey, look, I'm quoted on the cover. Sure, they don't use my name, just the place that I wrote it for, but still... it's pretty cool. And damn if that wasn't a fantastic issue. The explanation behind last issue's traitor reveal, the whole final sequence... Spencer and CAFU fucking rocking it, boys. [****1/4]

Uncanny X-Force #5.1: An enjoyable action comic. I've heard a lot of great things about Uncanny X-Force, but nothing here that matched up. This was good. I really liked reading it. Honestly, one of the better .1 issues so far and the upcoming "Age of Apocalypse" stuff has me interested. I'm just not sure this issue sold me on the book enough. [***1/4]

The Unwritten #23: And so the long-winded explanation of Tom Taylor ends. I liked this arc when it began, but, by the end, I was just pushing through with force of will. I like the ideas, just not the long, roundabout way that they're presented. It's mechanical and falls flat on the page a lot of the time. This arc feels necessary, but wasn't entertaining. And, fuck, man, if you can't do both, why bother? [**]

Later