Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Black Glove is Bruce Wayne?

I don't know why, but I just realised that the Black Glove could be Bruce Wayne. And, no, this is not a case of me trying to one-up Tim with crazy guesses... I actually have some evidence. Kind of.

When I was a kid, I had this paperback-sized Batman book called The Untold Legend of the Batman and, in it (if I recall correctly), Batman is being hunted by a mysterious villain that is dressed in a Batman-like costume that his father wore to a Halloween party when Bruce was a kid. Except, it turns out to be Bruce Wayne in that costume, tearing apart the life of Batman. (Edit: Okay, the details were a little off. You can read a summary of the story through the Wikipedia link. I was close, but remembered some deails wrong. Not that it changes my overall point. I just wanted to point that out for clarity sake.)

In a way, Alfred is responsible for the Black Glove as the insistence that Batman rexplore his Bruce Wayne persona gives that persona strength, the desire to be his own man outside of the Batman. Who else could counter Batman move for move? Who else has the resources? Why is the emphasis on Batman?

Okay, this is a wild guess, but it just occurred to me and I thought I would share.